The Student Researcher Program is an opportunity for college undergraduate students, graduate students, and others to participate in biomechanics research at ASMI for thesis or school credit.
All research is conducted at ASMI, in Birmingham, Alabama. No funding or housing is provided by ASMI. Conversely, no charge is assessed by ASMI to the student or his/her school. The duration of the program can be between 3 and 12 months. A student can begin the program at any time of the year; however, any applications for participation between May and August must be received by February 15.
To start, a student is matched with an ASMI researcher, based upon the student’s research interests. The student and the ASMI researcher then discuss the time of participation and the objectives for both ASMI and the student. ASMI may help the student with obtaining school credit, locating housing, and other assistance.
Please email a cover letter and résumé to Glenn S. Fleisig, Ph.D.
The cover letter should include:
- Why you are interested in the Student Researcher Program
- What you plan to receive (thesis/dissertation, course credit, school pay)
- Your long-range plans (your best guess about school, type of career, etc.)
- Research interests (biomechanics in motion capture lab, biomechanics in cadaver testing lab, etc.)
- Time frame (start date, end date, hours per week)
- Help you need from us (obtaining school approval, finding a place to stay, etc.)
The résumé should include:
- Your name, address, telephone, email, fax
- Schools (degree, major, years attended, relevant classes or projects, etc.)
- Relevant work experience
- Hobbies, interests, or extracurricular activities
- References (teacher, advisor, work supervisor, etc.) – including name, title, institution, and email address